Friday, June 26, 2009

We left LAX at Tuesday, June 23 at 9:30 pm pacific.  The plane ride was actually very pleasant.  Steph and I had three seats to ourselves.  So we were able to stretch out for the plane ride and not have to be squished up with a random person between us.  One great feature on New Zealand Air was the personal T.V. for each passenger.  We were able to choose from 89 new movies to watch, 258 music artist to listen to, 60 games to play, and constant updates on our flight.  Isn’t technology the best!  About two hours into our flight we were served a chicken dinner and a small glass of wine.  That we didn’t have to pay for!Well after 4 hours into the flight I tried to fall a sleep.  Moving, twisting, and stretching – I couldn’t find a comfortable position.  So I ended up dosing off in 5 minute increments.  In the middle of the night my feet felt funny.  I searched for my flashlight to shine some light to see what the problem was.  I finally found my flashlight at the bottom of my bag and I shined it on my feet.  My feet were swollen at least 2x their normal size.  I tried to fit them into my shoe but they wouldn’t fit.  I guess the 10 hours of sitting caused more blood to flow into my feet.  So I lifted them off the floor and began to squeeze them to get the swelling to go down.  After an hour of messaging, I managed to get them back to normal.  Then I stuck them into my shoe and tied it very tight to create pressure, to prevent any further swelling.  After 10 hours into our flight we crossed the International Date Line, which means we complete skipped over Wednesday, June 24 and take a leap into the future and arrive in New Zealand on Thursday June 25 at 5:30 am.  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great airline- beats United, huh? On your way home, get up and walk around at least every hour. That fights the swelling. I had that once and ever since I have walked the aisle a few times and it helps. I am eagerly awaiting your first meeting with a Weta...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want want to purchase some compression socks for when you travel on the airplanes. Joe had the same problem & it helped him alot! You can get them at a pharmacy (they are knee highs)
    Deb Tanis :o)

    ReplyDelete